Privacy and Security Policy
May 30, 2013
2. IMSN is committed to complying with Commonwealth legislation governing privacy of personal information by businesses and to protecting and safeguarding your privacy when you deal with us.
Collection of information
3. Some information provided to us by clients, customers and other third parties might be considered private or personal. Without these details we would not be able to carry on our business and provide our services to you. We will only collect such personal information if it is necessary for one of our functions or activities, or if mandated by legislation directly affecting training records for licensed mariners.
4. In particular, personal information is collected from people in the following situations by IMSN:
• If you contact IMSN, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
• When you register to our site for online training.
• At or before the time the personal information is collected by us we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of who we are, the fact that you are able to gain access to the information held about you, and the purpose of the collection.
Use of information collected and disclosure of personal information to others
6. We respect your privacy. We will only disclose personal information held about an individual for the primary purpose for which it is collected (eg. provision of our services, including administration of our services, notification to you about changes to our services, and technical maintenance).
7. In addition we are permitted to use or disclose personal information held about you:
• Where you have consented to the use or disclosure;
• Where we reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious, immediate threat to someone's health or safety or the public's health or safety;
• Where we reasonably suspect that unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in and the use or disclosure is a necessary part of our investigation or in reporting the matter to the relevant authorities;
• Where such use or disclosure is required under or authorized by law (for example, to comply with a subpoena, a warrant or other order of a court or legal process);
• Where we reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for prevention, investigation, prosecution and punishment of crimes or wrongdoings or the preparation for, conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal or the implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal by or on behalf of an enforcement body.
8. Our web site may contain links to other web sites and those third party web sites may collect personal information about you. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other businesses or the content of web sites that are linked to our web site. IMSN encourages users to be aware when they leave the site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information.
Security and storage
9. IMSN places a great importance on the security of all information associated with our customers and clients. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control.
10. Personal information is de-identified or destroyed securely when no longer required by us. As a requirement of the ISPS Code, IMSN will maintain all training records for no less than 2 years.
11. IMSN retains the information you provide to us including possibly your contact and credit card details to enable us to verify transactions and customer details and to retain adequate records for legal and accounting purposes. This information is held on secure servers in controlled facilities.
12. Information stored within our computer systems can only be accessed by those entrusted with authority and computer network password sanctions.
13. While we consistently strive to protect user's personal information, IMSN cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to it or from its online products or services, and users do so at their own risk.
14. Ultimately, you are solely responsible for keeping your passwords and/or account information secret. You should be careful and responsible whenever you are online.
Access to and correction of personal information
15. IMSN is committed to maintaining accurate, timely, relevant and appropriate information about our customers and clients.
16. Inaccurate information will be corrected upon receiving advice to this effect from you. To ensure confidentiality, details of your personal information will be passed on to you only if we are satisfied that the information relates to you.
18. We will investigate your complaint and attempt to resolve any breach that might have occurred in relation to the collection, use or destruction of personal information held by us about you in accordance with the Commonwealth Privacy legislation. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of this procedure then you may request that an independent person (usually the Commonwealth Privacy Officer) investigate your complaint.
19. IMSN collects information from the site using "IP files".
20. When you visit the IMSN site to read, browse or download information, our system will record/log your IP address (the address which identifies your computer on the internet and which is automatically recognized by our web server), date and time of your visit to our site, the pages viewed and any information downloaded. This information will only be used for the purpose of site analysis and to help us offer you improved online service.
21. We may automatically collect non-personal information about you such as the type of Internet browsers you use or the site from which you linked to our Web Sites. You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on our Web Site.
23. Any additional information you choose to give us about services, interests or lifestyle and information gathered via cookies will be used to learn about our users and improve the Website and Service we provide and advertising we show you.
24.We may use the information supplied by you to contact you for marketing purposes, which may include sending you messages via email. You can decide to opt-out of these types of marketing messages at any time by E-mail: email@example.com or using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails.